Barbara: My mom and step-dad—who are artists and professors and are not exactly “rolling in it”—have always claimed and nurtured the brilliant (to me) notion that one should “take care of the luxuries and the necessities take care of themselves” (thanks, Dorothy Parker, for that one). So I thought it might make an interesting Five Crazy Things.
Some of you may need to think up, economically, and some down. But most of us will likely fall into the middle somewhere. Do what you need to in order to have the most fun…
1. My Number One is absolutely good quality food. For me this means organic, free-range, fair-trade, but has, on occasion included spending 80 bucks on a few very special cheeses for a romantic night in the “cheese house” (Friends lovers will know this reference).
2. Lavender. It is my tonic. I keep a vial in my purse, in my bathroom and by my bed (not to mention the ubiquitous lavender candles). It is fragrant, soothing and therapeutic (as well as being an effective germ-killer).
3. Books. Real books that I can hold in my hands. I have so many tottering in piles, still unread, all over my bedroom, it’s getting a bit dangerous.
4. My Purse. One good one, every few years. It was the first fashion item I spent some real dough on when I was broke, and it continues to be). And, even though I’ve not reached the high hundreds yet, I still feel like my relatively modest splurges are splurges nonetheless (because they’re more than those in the $50 range, where one can easily find a useful and stylish bag). For me, no other fashion splurge feels quite as lovely and right as the one good purse.
5. Travel. No matter how precarious we’ve been through the years, we always found SOME way of traveling. Even if it just meant a road trip to my dad’s place. “Getting away from it all”: priceless.
Deb: Okay, my friend, you KNOW that my list could be “War and Peace” scary long! But I promise to restrain myself.
1. Travel, at this point of my life, is top of the list. Wonderful places, good hotels. Luxury.
2. Yes, Barb, I am also with you on the good purse!
3. Food, absolutely, good fresh organic food, and if it is going into our bodies it is worth it!
4. Fresh flowers in the house every week. LOVE!
5. Good, well-made wonderful items of clothing around which I can build my wardrobe. Key pieces that go a long way and make an outfit come together.