Barbara: When the kids were young, they often asked me which was my favourite colour. (Maybe as subconscious wondering as to which was my favourite child.) My answer was always, “I don’t have a favourite colour because it depends on what the colour applies to.” (And, of course, I have no favourite child given that I love them both beyond measure, and which immeasurable measure is exactly equal.)
But we’ve talked a lot about meaningful colour here, so why not “crazy” it up? Okay, so which 5 colours have significant meaning for you? OR: pick five colours and let us know how they make you feel.
1. Yellow. Makes me happy. Obviously, the symbolic colour of light and sun. Uplifting. I have several rooms painted yellow. Love it.
2. Green. Makes me calm. Zens me out. I would say it’s my “favourite” colour in general, yet I don’t have any green rooms (yet), and very few green clothes (this could change). Nature, mmm.
3. Red. I love to wear red. I love the warm shade against my skin colour. I love the strength of it. I do have a room painted red and have not gotten tired of it (although my daughter tells me she has!).
4. Blue. Strangely, I think I don’t love blue. And yet, flowers, stones, water when blue, sky when blue, all inspire me. I want to stare at blue when I write. It’s possibility. I love blue jewelry (turquoise, moonstone), cobalt glass.
5. Brown. Okay, this is maybe the colour, if we can call it that, that I am most comfortable in: clothing, furniture, accessories. It flatters my colouring. But also for its nature (forgive the pun): branches, soil, sand, stone, wood, riverbed, spring (the season), and on and on. To me, brown is the root of beauty.
1. I love green. My wedding ring is green. Emerald green is a favourite.
2. Turquoise is my ultimate favourite colour. I have always been drawn to its calm beauty.
3. Red is my power colour. I love wearing red. I think red flatters everyone. I adore using red accents with grey.
4. Mellow Yellow, the soft colour of butter is one of my favourite wall colours.
5. Black and white. I know, I know, not colours, but colours I live in and adore!