Barbara: A personal motif isn’t something I used to think much about. In fact, my thinking about motifs at all may have sprung from some of you mentioning your own, or asking about what mine might be. Lately, I’ve noticed that certain motifs come up all the time, in fact, and that they certainly reflect who I am and how I feel. I thought it would be a fun “Five Crazy Things” to list ours here.
When I say “motif”, I’m talking about a design feature or element that particularly appeals to you or resonates with you, or comes up again and again in your environment (like in your decorating, clothing, or jewelry). Obviously, if you do have a meaningful motif or motifs, it might just be one or two. So let’s call this 1-5 Crazy Things!
1. Leaves. The leaf pattern has come up again and again in my jewelry or clothing. I absolutely love the texture of the leaf and it’s sensual shape.
2. In the same theme: the Tree. Many years ago, Deb gave me a “tree of life” necklace, and it’s one of my favourite pieces. The meaningful shape of the tree—both in design and in life—with its branches reaching upward and its mirrored roots grounding it below makes me feel at peace.
3. The feather. The feather is a wishful, quiet, almost not-there symbol. Subtle, beautiful, serene.
4. Gem-stones. Amethyst, rose quartz, jade. Not fancy jewels, but smooth, decent, solid, talismans.
5. Stones. Especially beach stones. Again, for their simple, steady, speckled smoothness. Calm and solid. Evocative of holding the sun’s warmth and the coolness of night. Somehow, absolutely somehow, something quiet living inside.
Deb: I don’t know if it is just because we are friends or if it’s because we are both true Cancerians, but I share many of these with Barbara.
1. Certainly the stones I collect from everywhere I go and place in a lovely bowl at my bedside. Sometimes the cleaning lady puts earrings on top of it or a safety pin and it makes me mental. It’s not the catch-all bowl, for heavens sake, it’s my stones. Always makes me laugh when she does this.
2. Moons and stars shaped jewelry. Since as young as I can remember this has been my precious theme.
3. Things that are 3’s, my lucky number. I have 3 jewelry and a 3 ring which I just got for Christmas.
4. Pinecones. I am besotted with them and use them a lot in my decorating. They speak to my surroundings. Along those lines, I also have a big collection of Canadiana china and glasswear, trays and tablecloths. I love them so much.
5. Stuffed animals. My darlings. I have one which I have had from birth and I gently touch him once in a while, as any more handling will lead to his demise. He is frail in stature but so strong in his soul. I have many wonderful Steiff animals that I adore. Yes, I am that stuffed animal gal. They have deep meaning to me.